About NAMENDA XR®
For patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease
Treat today with NAMENDA XR.
Once-daily NAMENDA XR 28 mg+AChEI* demonstrated improvements in cognition
and global function
In a 24-week study of 677 outpatients with moderate to severe AD on stable
therapy, adding NAMENDA XR 28 mg was
statistically significantly superior to placebo+AChEI (using an LOCF† analysis)
in the primary co-endpoints of1:
- Cognition as measured by the Severe Impairment Battery (2.6 unit mean difference)1
- Global function as measured by the Clinician's Interview-Based Impression of Change
plus caregiver input (0.3 unit mean difference)1
Studied in combination with leading AChEIs (donepezil, galantamine, or rivastigmine)1
Convenient once-daily dosing with NAMENDA XR
No titration required when switching from NAMENDA® (memantine HCl) to NAMENDA XR1
Once-daily dosing aligns with once-daily AChEI regimens2
Patients taking combination therapy with a once-daily AChEI may be able to receive all
Alzheimer's disease treatments once per day
Dosage and Administration
- The recommended starting dose of NAMENDA XR is 7 mg once daily. The recommended target dose is 28 mg once daily.
The dose should be increased in 7 mg increments to 28 mg once daily. The minimum recommended interval between
dose increases is one week, and only if the previous dose has been well tolerated. The maximum recommended dose
is 28 mg once daily.
It is recommended that a patient who is on a regimen of 10 mg twice daily of NAMENDA tablets be switched to NAMENDA XR 28 mg
once-daily capsules the day following the last dose of a 10 mg NAMENDA tablet. There is no study addressing the comparative
efficacy of these 2 regimens.
It is recommended that a patient with severe renal impairment who is on a regimen of 5 mg twice daily of NAMENDA tablets be
switched to NAMENDA XR 14 mg once-daily capsules the day following the last dose of a 5 mg NAMENDA tablet.
- The most commonly observed adverse reactions occurring at a frequency of at least 5% in NAMENDA XR-treated patients and at a
higher frequency than placebo were headache (6% vs 5%), diarrhea (5% vs 4%), and dizziness (5% vs 1%).1
- In the placebo-controlled clinical trial of NAMENDA XR (N=676), the proportions of patients in the
NAMENDA XR 28 mg/day dose and placebo groups who discontinued treatment due to adverse events were 10.0% and 6.3%, respectively.
- The most common adverse reaction in the NAMENDA XR-treated group that led to treatment discontinuation in this study was
dizziness at a rate of 1.5%.
- AChEI=acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.
- LOCF=last observation carried forward.
- Aricept® is a registered trademark of Eisai Co., Ltd.
- Exelon® is a registered trademark of Novartis AG Corp.
- Razadyne® is a registered trademark of Johnson & Johnson.
NAMENDA XR (memantine HCl) extended-release Prescribing Information. Cincinnati, OH: Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2014.
- Data on file. Forest Laboratories, LLC
Review the benefits of combination therapy with NAMENDA XR
Read about once-daily dosing with NAMENDA XR