NAMENDA XR® Dosing Information
Dosing For New Patients Starting NAMENDA XR
NAMENDA XR capsules offer convenient once-daily dosing for your patients
- Once-daily formulation aligns with once-daily AChEI regimens1
- Can be administered day or night, with or without food2
Patients taking combination therapy with a once-daily AChEI may be able to receive all
Alzheimer’s disease treatments just once a day.
New patients starting NAMENDA XR
- Convenient Titration Pack with color-coded capsules helps patients reach the
recommended target dose (28 mg/day) over the first 4 weeks of therapy2
Titration by the 7s—every 7th day, increase by 7 mg
- NAMENDA XR may be administered day or night, with or without food2
- NAMENDA XR capsules may be opened, and the contents sprinkled on applesauce for patients
who have difficulty swallowing pills2
- Entire contents of NAMENDA XR capsules must be consumed; the dose should not be divided,
crushed, or chewed
Dosage and Administration
- The recommended starting dose of NAMENDA XR is 7 mg once daily. The recommended target dose is 28 mg
once daily. The dose should be increased in 7 mg increments to 28 mg once daily. The minimum recommended interval
between dose increases is one week, and only if the previous dose has been well tolerated. The maximum recommended dose is
28 mg once daily.
- It is recommended that a patient who is on a regimen of 10 mg twice daily of NAMENDA tablets be switched to
NAMENDA XR 28 mg once-daily capsules the day following the last dose of a 10 mg NAMENDA tablet. There is no
study addressing the comparative efficacy of these 2 regimens.
- It is recommended that a patient with severe renal impairment who is on a regimen of 5 mg twice daily of NAMENDA tablets
be switched to NAMENDA XR 14 mg once-daily capsules the day following the last dose of a 5 mg NAMENDA tablet.
- NAMENDA XR should be administered with caution to patients with severe hepatic impairment.
- A target dose of 14 mg/day is recommended in patients with severe renal impairment (creatinine clearance of 5-29 mL/min,
based on the Cockcroft-Gault equation).
Learn how NAMENDA XR works in combination with an AChEI
View NAMENDA XR side effects and pharmacokinetic drug interactions
- Data on file. Forest Laboratories, LLC
NAMENDA XR (memantine HCl) extended-release Prescribing Information. Cincinnati, OH: Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2014.